Sunday, January 20, 2013

Love, Eat, Pray -- Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo in 30 Days


The travel gods were unusually kind to me as 2012 ended and 2013 began.  I didn't quite plan it that way but after it had all happened, I realized that in the span of 30 days, I had been able to go to my three most favorite cities in the world -- Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo.
In a way I achieved what author Elizabeth Gilbert had done ... but not in the same order and not in so long a time.


First up - Paris!  Paris is a city for love and lovers.  Who will not fall under her enchanting and magical spell?  Even the most hardened, hard boiled realist (me) cannot resist the romance and the allure that the city brings.


From love to food in less than 24 hours.  I had barely arrived home from Paris when we had to hop on a plane for a New Year holiday in Hong Kong -- for me,  the best place to just eat and eat and eat.  What else is one to do?


A few days after coming home from  Hong Kong, I found myself on a plane bound for Tokyo.
From love to food to prayer -- all within 30 days.
The Sensoji Temple is a must destination for me.
I visit Kannon Bodhisattva, goddess of mercy.
I take my place at the urn and wave incense smoke over me -- to cure me of my ills and rid me of my sins.  I say my silent prayers and give thanks for all the blessings bestowed on me.
And then, when I am done praying, Buddha does the inevitable.
Buddha makes me cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment