Monday, May 11, 2020

Musings on my Closet in the time of Covid 19


"I have nothing to wear!"



How many times have you  said that -- usually in an aggrieved and anguished tone. 
I used to say that often myself -- I would skim through my closets and look at every single piece with a critical eye -- too old, too passe', everyone has seen that ...  all the excuses to justify a trip to the mall.  And afterwards,  there would be that self satisfied feeling that yes, I finally had "something to wear". 
After I retired years ago, I went through a massive closet de-cluttering, giving away work clothes that I felt I would never use again.  But I also didn't really stop shopping -- this time, I felt I needed
more casual, easy going attire suitable for my new status in life.  Having given away so much,  I felt justified in buying more new stuff.



With time on my hands during this ECQ lockdown, I decided to go through my closets and see what I had and if I really had "nothing to wear".
I did a manual count of what I owned  and found out that I had exactly 73 blouses, 43 pairs of pants,  43 dresses and 7 skirts.
That means if I just put on a different blouse each day and paired it with any one of the pants or skirts  in my closet, I would have at least 73 different outfits.  Add the 43 dresses and I could go 116 days or almost 4 months without having to repeat a single look.   
If I were a mathematician  ( which I am most certainly not) I would be able to compute the number of combinations that 73 blouses, 43 pairs of pants and 7 skirts would come out to.
There's no reason to ever think that "I have nothing to wear".  
I would be happy to stop buying clothes in the future -- I can do all my shopping inside my closet. 




No comments:

Post a Comment