Although it's not my favourite airport (that would be Schiphol), Changi Aiport in Singapore is ranked number one in the world. Here are the reasons why I agree with that ranking:
1. There are live flowers and plants all over the place! What can be more soothing to a tired traveler than a gorgeous garden, growing right in the middle of an airport?
2. The decor are just impressive and amazing. Each season, Changi takes the time, effort and yes, the expense -- to put up massive themed installations like this gigantic horse set up in time for the Chinese New Year.
3. Every effort is done to provide travellers with a relaxing and soothing ambiance. This mini oasis right in the middle Terminal 1 has potted trees, sofas and comfortable chairs on a gleaming hardwood floor. Curl up and relax while you wait for your flight.
4. Airport food is almost always dreadful but Changi has a 24 hour food court with kiosks from popular hawker centres. So, the nasi lemak, the wonton soup, fish ball noodles, Hainanese chicken rice, bah kut teh, prawn mee are all authentic -- and yes, all are very good.
5. The food court has a branch of my favourite kopi house -- Killiney Kopi Tiam! And here's the plus, it's manned by two friendly and efficient Filipinos.
6. The nasi lemak from the food court is just perfect. Kopi C and otah care of Killiney Kopi Tiam!
7. The few times I catch an afternoon flight, I can sit and have a beer at the bar.
8. Aside from the 24 hour food court, there are many choices -- would you like a Burger King or how about some Peranakan cuisine? You can even take those local delicacies to go.
9. Bee Cheng Hiang's gourmet bakwa and pork sheets are great for last minute pasalubong.
10. Shopping is just so easy -- even during peak hours, you won't feel crowded or claustrophobic.
11. And finally, Changi has my favourite brands which makes it doubly hard not to shop every time I fly out.