Sunday, April 3, 2011

"Oh, the pleasure of eating my dinner alone!" Charles Lamb


Although Epicurus did say that
"We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf." --
I on the other hand, look for that solitary time to myself - whether at home or in a restaurant, to enjoy my meal alone.
No one to worry about, no one to share the requisite small talk with, no one to distract me from the pleasure of my food except perhaps a good book if there is time to linger, or just the quiet observation of other diners enjoying their own meals.
I particularly savor the peacefulness of eating alone, specially when I'm traveling.
Thankfully, most restaurants abroad do not look askance at solitary diners. Even the most popular and crowded ones will usually give you a secluded table for two.
Some of my best meals have been with just myself.
Although if you believe an Arab proverb
"He who eats alone chokes alone."



1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't want to do it all the time but I enjoy solitary meals too, I like tasting and feeling the texture without the distraction of conversation.

    ReplyDelete